PMA40116 Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology
Qualification Code and Title
PMA40116 Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology
- March 2022
Approved workplace locations/sites
12 months (52 weeks) minimum.
This qualification is delivered through workplace-based approach to training and assessment consisting of:
- Customised delivery to meet client needs
- Includes face to face training
- On the job monitoring and assessment
The PMA40116 Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology consists of 26 units of competency – 5 core and 21 electives. To complete this qualification, you must successfully complete all 26 units as listed below:
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Core/Elective|
|MSMENV272||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices||Core|
|MSMSUP100||Apply workplace context to own job||Core|
|MSMSUP102||Communicate in the workplace||Core|
|MSMWHS110||Follow emergency response procedures||Core|
|PMAOPS450||Solve colour problems||Elective|
|MSMSUP405||Identify problems in fluid power system||Elective|
|MSMWHS400||Contribute to WHS management system||Elective|
|PMAOMIR407||Audit incident preparedness and established response system||Elective|
|PMASUP410||Develop plant documentation||Elective|
|PMASUP420||Minimise environmental impact of process||Elective|
|PMAOPS500||Optimise production systems||Elective|
|MSMSUP291||Participate in continuous improvement||Elective|
|MSMSUP300||Identify and apply process improvements||Elective|
|PMAOPS201||Operate fluid flow equipment||Elective|
|PMAOPS208||Operate chemical separation equipment||Elective|
|PMAOPS216||Operate local control system||Elective|
|PMAOPS306||Operate and troubleshoot production unit||Elective|
|PMAOPS315||Operate and troubleshoot process control systems||Elective|
|PMAOPS343||Transfer bulk fluids into/out of storage facility||Elective|
|PMAOPS309||Operate solids handling/ storage equipment||Elective|
|PMAOPS350||Match and adjust colour||Elective|
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification or any of the units within it however Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. requires that students:
- Have demonstrated a suitable level of language, literacy and numeracy to complete the course requirements, with or without the additional support that Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. is able to provide.
- Currently occupy a role relevant to the course and subject area of the qualification
- Are currently employed at a workplace that is suitable for undertaking the workplace assessments and where resources and equipment can be accessed
- Have received their employers’ commitment to support them through the program
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is available and all students are offered the opportunity to participate in RPL upon application. The RPL process considers the skills and knowledge you have gained through work and life experience and other unrecognised training. RPL is recommended where individuals have been working in a relevant job role for a period.
To apply for RPL, you will need to fill in an RPL Kit and return it with an RPL Application Form. Your application will then be assessed for suitability and you will be contacted by an assessor to progress the RPL Process.
The RPL process will then involve gathering paper-based evidence to demonstrate skills, knowledge and experience, answering questions, completing tasks and potentially observation of skills in your workplace.
Fees applicable for RPL are as follows:
- $500.00 Application Fee upon submission of the RPL Application Form AND
- $300.00 for each unit of competency in your application
It is best to submit any RPL applications prior to the commencement of your course so that an outcome can be determine before your course commences and to minimise associated fees.
Where an RPL is granted for one or more unit, cluster-based assessments will be customised accordingly to ensure you do not have to undertake assessment tasks relating to the RPL unit/s.
For more information about RPL applications please contact us.
Pathways into the qualification
Preferred pathways for students considering this qualification include:
- PMA30116 Certificate III in Process Plant Operations
- Vocational experience in Plant Processing work
Pathways from the qualification
After successfully completing this qualification, students may undertake:
- PMA50116- Diploma of Process Plant Technology
- Other related qualifications in manufacturing
Training will consist training sessions distributed across the period of the course duration which is approximately 12 months (52 weeks).The face-to-face training days are scheduled with agreement from both your employer and you to suit the learning and operational needs of the business.
Throughout the duration of the program, you will be required to:
- Attend scheduled training sessions
- Attend scheduled mentoring/coaching sessions
- Participate in simulation activities
- Work as part of a team to achieve shared goals
Your trainer will provide you with the necessary learning materials and resources for the program. The program is broken into FOUR (4) clusters or groups as follows:
|Cluster 1 :||Safety and Emergency Response|
|MSMWHS110||Follow emergency response procedures|
|MSMWHS400||Contribute to WHS management system|
|PMAOMIR407||Audit incident preparedness and established response system|
|PMASUP410||Develop plant documentation|
|Cluster 2 :||Storage facility|
|MSMSUP291||Participate in continuous improvement|
|MSMSUP300||Identify and apply process improvements|
|MSMSUP405||Identify problems in fluid power system|
|PMAOPS201||Operate fluid flow equipment|
|PMAOPS343||Transfer bulk fluids into/out of storage facility|
|PMAOPS309||Operate solids handling/ storage equipment|
|Cluster 3 :||Operate Production Unit|
|PMAOPS208||Operate chemical separation equipment|
|PMAOPS216||Operate local control system|
|PMAOPS306||Operate and troubleshoot a production unit|
|PMAOPS315||Operate and trouble shoot process control systems|
|PMAOPS350||Match and adjust colour|
|PMAOPS450||Solve colour problems|
|PMAOPS500||Optimise production systems|
|Cluster 4 :||Sustainability|
|MSMENV272||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|MSMSUP100||Apply workplace context to own job|
|MSMSUP102||Communicate in the workplace|
|PMASUP420||Minimise environmental impact of process.|
Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. will work with your employer to:
- Confirm the relevance of your current role to the qualification
- Confirm your suitability and availability of workplace resources for the course
- Confirm their commitment to support you through the program
- Schedule training dates and confirm workplace resource requirements for the course
By nominating you for this program, your employer has shown a commitment to your education and development by allocating time for you to participate in the program. The employer will be monitoring your progress throughout the course and providing third-party support of your knowledge and skill development.
For further information on workplace involvement in this program you can contact us or speak with your workplace manager/supervisor.
Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. will provide you with support services that meet your individual needs to assist you in maximising your chances of successfully completing your training program. Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. will:
- Identify any support you need prior to enrolment or commencement of training
- Provide access to the required support throughout the training
- Support may include:
- Language, literacy and numeracy support
- Assistance with technology
- One-on-one support
If you think you might require additional support, please contact us to discuss further.
Assessment is conducted through a variety of assessment methods including:
- Written Knowledge Questions – there will be a series of questions that will require written responses. The questions cover each of the units contains in a cluster and will assess your knowledge of the topics.
- Workplace Activities (WPA’s) – these activities require you to complete tasks in your workplace environment and cover all components of the course.
- Observations – your assessor will observe you in the workplace performing tasks relating to each of the units in the course.
- Third-Party Reports – your manager/supervisor will be asked to sign a report confirming your consistency of performance across all areas of the course.
Assessments for the program are also broken into FOUR (4) clusters or groups as detailed in the Training Arrangements section above. Where a credit transfer has been granted, the cluster-based assessments will be customised accordingly to ensure you do not have to undertake assessment tasks previously completed. If you do not fully complete all assessment tasks for a cluster, you will not receive any AQF certification.
Students are expected to bring with them to each of the face-to-face training sessions the following:
- Pens and paper
- Workplace examples for activities (your trainer will advise)
For completing assessment tasks and activities, students will require access to workplace resources, equipment and documentation. All other resources will be provided by Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd.
If you withdraw from the program, you will receive a Statement of Attainment for any completed clusters. In order to be eligible for a Statement of Attainment, you need to have completed all required assessment tasks in a cluster.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be issued with the nationally recognised qualification of MSM40116 – Certificate IV Process Manufacturing. Certificates will be issued within 30 days of completion, that is, 30 days from the date of your last competent unit/cluster.
The course fees for completing this qualification are $8,000.00 per student consisting of the following:
- $1,000.00 Enrolment Fee (non-refundable)
- $7,000.00 Balance of Fees
NB: Tuition fees as published are subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment.
If you are applying for an RPL Assessment the fees are as follows:
- $500.00 per RPL Application AND
- $300.00 per each unit of competency in your application
NB: There is no charge for credit transfer applications.
Additional fees which may be incurred in connection with this course include:
- $50.00 per reissuance of a certification document
- $200.00 re-assessment per unit
You employer will advise you with the details about an information session for this course where a representative from Competitive Solutions Australia Pty Ltd. will visit your workplace.
Once this has occurred and you have agreed to enrol, a representative will make a time to visit you at your workplace to complete the enrolment documentation.
As part of the enrolment process, you will be required to complete a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment to determine whether you meet the entry requirements of the course and whether you may require additional support.
If you have any further questions about the enrolment process, please contact us to discuss.